How many different types of coffee are there? This is sort of like asking how many stars are in the universe. A quick search on Google will show you there are more than you can count. My question to you is wouldn’t you rather know which types of coffee taste the best? The ones you should select to drink? Maybe this will help.
Just How Many Different Types of Coffee Are There Anyway?
I know you would like to know the answer but to clarify, coffee types are much fewer than types of coffee drinks. And then there are the types of roasts. So as you can see, the answer to the question, how many types of coffee are there, could be interpreted in a number of ways.
Before I get to the number of different types of coffee, I want to explore the different ways and why people drink coffee. As for me, I drink coffee because I enjoy it. I think most coffee drinkers feel the same. Does someone just decide that today I’m going to become a coffee drinker? Not at all. Coffee is pretty much something you have to acquire a taste for. But once you do, you are hooked. So to speak.
How many different types?
Since I didn’t know the answer right off the top of my head, and who would, I turned to my old friend Roasty Coffee for the answer.
The answer to your question is two. Yep, two. Not hundreds, not thousands, not millions, just two.
The two types of coffee beans.
There are many different types of coffee species, not unlike the different species of other fruits out there. Still, most of the beans produced and used can be divided into these two main species.
Now a few different types of coffee drinks.
How many different types of coffee are there? As we just learned, two. Maybe not what you were thinking but that’s pretty much it.
On the other hand, there are dozens of different types of coffee drinks. That is what most people think of when they want to know how many different types of coffee are there. Here is a short list of drinks for you. See how many you have tasted.
- Black coffee – Coffee straight out of the pot or however you may brew yours.
- Coffee with creamer (and maybe sugar) – Just as it says, coffee with creamer. You may like flavored creamer with your coffee.
- Latte – Now this one has a large number of variables. Vanilla, pumpkin spice, hazelnut, the list goes on.
- Slow pour coffee – This is where you slowly pour hot water over your grounded beans in a large open filter. I wrote a piece on this method here.
- French Press – This method requires a special type of coffee maker called, are you ready, a French Press. It uses a plunger method.
- Espresso – This is where you take finely ground coffee and compress it then allowing a small amount of water to extract the flavors which are usually stronger.
- Cappuccino – An espresso coffee made with hot milk and steamed milk foam.
- Tall Grande with two shots, adding a shake of cinnamon, a swirl of caramel, whipped topping and a peppermint stick. Well, maybe not a type of coffee drink but I’m sure you know where this one is coming from.
When it comes right down to it, asking the question, how many different types of coffee are there, to me is a bit irrelevant. However, when it comes to the different types of coffee drinks, that is a very valid question.
Rather than me trying to list the many dozens of types, let me suggest you take a look at this book “I Love Coffee!: Over 100 Easy and Delicious Coffee Drinks” which I think you will thoroughly enjoy.
One last thing. Just for you when you subscribe to The Morning Coffee Cup, a 20% discount on some awesome coffee from on of my favorite coffee roasters. Subscribe now!
Time to enjoy some delicious coffee.